Welcome to our newly designed Focus on Funding page! As you explore our featured funding opportunities below, you’ll notice a more user-friendly layout, along with a calendar that serves as an easy reference for upcoming submission deadlines. We look forward to working with you to identify and secure the funding resources you need to successfully complete your projects!
Special Edition: CFA Programs
The DCED, through the CFA, is now accepting applications for seven programs funded through Act 13. Applications for the Multimodal Transportation Fund will be accepted starting March 1, 2019. For additional information on these programs, please see our special edition Funding Opportunities supplement.
Commonwealth Financing Authority (CFA)
The Alternative and Clean Energy Program (ACE) provides grant and loan funding for the utilization, development, and construction of alternative and clean energy projects, infrastructure associated with compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) fueling stations, and energy efficiency and energy conservation projects.
The Renewable Energy Program (REP) provides grant and loan funding for the construction of facilities related to the production, distribution, or manufacturing of geothermal or wind energy.
The Solar Energy Program (SEP) provides loan funding for the construction of facilities that generate, distribute, or store solar energy; are used for research and development; or are manufacturing or assembly facilities.
- Eligibility: Economic development organizations, businesses, municipalities, and school districts
- Applications Due: March 22, 2019 for CFA Board consideration in May 2019
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
The SAFER Program funds the hiring of firefighters or the recruitment and retention of volunteer firefighters.
- Eligibility: Volunteer fire departments, municipalities submitting on behalf of fire departments lacking the legal status to do so
- Award Amount: $350 million total available, 300 expected awards
- Required Match: 25% in Years 1-2, 65% in Year 3 (waiver available)
- Applications Due: March 22, 2019
Pennsylvania American Water
Grants are available to support diverse types of environmental sustainability activities such as watershed cleanups, reforestation efforts, biodiversity projects, streamside buffer restoration projects, wellhead protection initiatives, hazardous waste collection efforts, and surface or groundwater protection education in the Pennsylvania American Water service area. Projects must be completed between May 1, 2019, and November 30, 2019.
- Eligibility: Municipalities, nonprofits, schools, watershed organizations
- Award Amount: $10,000 maximum
- Required Match: None required
- Applications Due: March 29, 2019
Partnerships for Opportunity and Workforce and Economic Revitalization (POWER) Initiative: FY2019 Funding
Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)
Funding is available for economic and workforce development projects in communities or regions impacted by coal mining that address one or a combination of the following: diversifying economies, creating jobs, attracting job-creating investment, enhancing access to and use of broadband services, and providing workforce services and skills training.
- Eligibility: Counties, municipalities, nonprofits
- Award Amount: $45 million total available, $2.5 million maximum
- Required Match: 20% to 50% minimum, depending on location
- Applications Due: April 10, 2019
Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (PA DCNR)
Projects must benefit Lehigh County residents living in communities that meet low-to-moderate income thresholds per the U.S. Census and are outside Lower Milford Township and the Cities of Allentown and Bethlehem. Eligible CDBG projects include public infrastructure or community facilities projects.
- Eligibility: Lehigh County municipalities and nonprofits
- Award Amount: No stated minimum or maximum
- Required Match: 10% for construction projects
- Applications Due: April 12, 2019