Safety isn’t just another item on a checklist here at RETTEW; it’s woven into our culture and everything we do.
Which is why we’ve been selected as a winner of this year’s Governor’s Award for Safety Excellence, announced this week at the 2017 Pennsylvania Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health Conference.
The judges for this prestigious award analyze safety standards such as workplace injuries and illnesses against industry averages, as well as safety program innovations and strategic policy development. Judging includes the award submission as well as an on-site visit and presentation.
RETTEW has renewed its focus on safety throughout the past five years, including:
- Earning a Pennsylvania Department of Labor certification for our Safety Committee, comprised of 22 employees from 11 different departments
- Instituting a Safety One-Call Number for immediate incident reporting and disposition
- Designing and implementing a Hazard Identification process, streamlined for easy adaptation
- Beginning every group meeting with a Safety Minute
- Reducing overall recordable injuries
- Reducing driving incidents
Staff feedback was continually incorporated as each program component was developed, and employee engagement in the safety program skyrocketed. Employee involvement in the program has been the hallmark of its success.
“We are extremely honored to receive this award,” said Luke Lazar, Director of Safety at RETTEW. “Every employee has made a concerted effort to focus on and improve our safety practices, and we’re grateful the state has recognized RETTEW’s commitment.”
Acting Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry, W. Gerard Oleksiak, presented the award to Luke Lazar and Paul O’Donnell, Senior Health and Safety Consultant at RETTEW. A more formal presentation will be made in early December at a RETTEW office, and staff will celebrate together!