Ephrata Township identified this project primarily to address required pollutant reductions for the Township’s 2018-2025 MS4 Permit. This project proposes to restore the Cocalico Creek by:
- Installing in-stream structures for streambank stabilization
- Restoring floodplain and wetland areas
- Incorporating a three-zone multifunctional riparian buffer
- Constructing a canoe/kayak launch area, ADA-accessible fishing pier, ADA access, walking trail, and parking lot
- Adding educational signage to highlight ecological benefits to the community.
RETTEW helped the Township obtain a $145,300 grant from the Lancaster County Clean Water Fund to match a $195,980 grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. However, because of rising construction costs, the initial project cost of $400,000 nearly doubled. By leveraging our familiarity and experience with these funding agencies, the Township was able to obtain an additional $250,000 in grant funds and keep the project on course for completion in 2023.